Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Punta del Diablo


Uruguay does not have mountains.  Or desert.  Or rain forest.  Or interesting geology.  But what Uruguay does have is miles and miles of amazing beaches.  Based on recommendations from friends, I had a long list of stops to make in the one month that remained for me in South America.

After running from the bed bugs in Montevideo, I went to the furthest point to the northeast and intended to work my way back from there.  But once I got to Punta del Diablo (~600 people in low season, ~25,000 people in high season, sea level), I had a sneaking suspicion that the plans would change.  I booked two nights.  Then I paid for two more.  Then I said, “Fuck it, just hold my bed indefinitely.  I can’t think of a good reason to leave.”  I ended up finally getting on a bus 3 weeks later.



Okay, so I missed Aguas Dulces, Barra de Valizas, Cabo Polonio, La Pedrera, and La Paloma.  It’s a good excuse to come back…

Upon arrival, after 10 months of wandering the continent, I found myself not refreshed and rejuvenated as I had hoped, but instead just super sleepy.  And crushed by the loneliness of being away from friends and family for so long.  And physically destroyed by a series of ridiculous injuries.  And nearly out of underwear after a suspicious laundry situation.  And painfully low on cash.  And dreading the thought of returning to a place that doesn’t really feel like home to me anymore.

But, magically, after 3 weeks of laying around the beach, I seemed to find some closure and enlightenment.  In fact, I think I may have located (somewhere between the 200+ hours of hammock time and 18 kilos of meat) the secret to happiness.  You might want to write this down:


  • 1 sleepy beach town
  • 1.5 liters of yerba mate
  • 2 nectarines
  • 1 hour of siesta, preferably in a hammock
  • 30 push ups, 100 sit ups, and an hour of futbol on the beach
  • 1 hour of siesta
  • 1 ham and cheese sandwich
  • 1 hour walk on the beach
  • 1 strawberry daiquiri
  • 1 hour of siesta, preferably by a pool with a book
  • 1 liter of wine
  • 400 grams of lean steak
  • 1 vegetable of your choice
  • 1 more liter of wine
  • 6-8 hours of sleep
  • Wash, rinse, repeat until your head clears

I don’t know that I’ve been more healthy or happy at any point in my life.  Not bad, considering that three weeks prior, I felt as lost as I’ve ever felt in my life.  I’ll be back.  Soon.































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow this is something to remember all of your life my brother, I would very much like to experience another trip down there with you sometime my friend

- Jack